Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: Ubuntu Noob Seeks Enlightenment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

First of all, let me say that I'm an utter noob with Linux. I've worked with Windows my whole life (sad, I know) and am attempting to get on the bandwagon. Ubuntu isn't making it that easy for me, though.

I recently got a Ubuntu LiveCD and am attempting to install it dual-boot with Windows XP. I cleared off a drive and then proceeded to install Ubuntu. However, when the GRUB bootloader comes up and I select Ubuntu, it goes CLI, tells me I'm working in Debian 'ash', and gives me a prompt for commands. I have tried working with the GRUB options menus and with the 'ash' shell. There seems to be no effect - Ubuntu always boots to the ash shell. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for your time.

I believe there is a problem with the GRUB configuration. If you had a bit more knowledge I would suggest you to check your GRUB configuration files and kernel locations, however, since you say you are a noob with Linux, I suggest reinstalling Ubuntu. If that still doesn't work, let me know and I'll see about running you through a check of GRUB.

Quote:I believe there is a problem with the GRUB configuration. If you had a bit more knowledge I would suggest you to check your GRUB configuration files and kernel locations, however, since you say you are a noob with Linux, I suggest reinstalling Ubuntu. If that still doesn't work, let me know and I'll see about running you through a check of GRUB.

I've tried a second install with exactly the same result. Before I get into altering the GRUB configuration, I have a few questions about something I did during the first installation. When the partition manager opened, I unmounted and formatted half of my second drive, intending to use it (251 gigs available.) Now I'm not sure how to remount it or if I even need to. I've run diskmount from the LiveCD, and it reports that I have no files to mount - but the half-drive I'd like to use has a status of 'not mounted'. Once more, thanks for your time.