Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: Can I get some help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hi Everyone-

I just installed RedHat 8.0 on one of my older systems (specs below)and I don't know if I have everything installed correctly yet:

1 Hard Drive Obviously installed correctly

1 CD-WR Haven't tested yet

Mother board DFI Inifinity Ultra Installed Drivers just how Nvidia said to.

CPU Athlon XP 1700+ ?

Sound Onboard Don't have extra speaks to test

Video GeForce 2 Ultra I just picked generic Geforce 2 but I don't

know how to install OpenGL

Monitor Touch? I know this monitor can do 1024x768@85hz

I don't think I have it installed correctly.

Mouse and Keyboard are good except I can't use the scroll on my mouse.

My biggest issues are that I can't get Seti@Home running and that I don't know how to install OpenGL. I would like to start testing out programs and games (MMORPG mostly) on my Linux box, but I believe I need a mentor to help me out and teach me how to be a paddiwan so that one day I may be a mighty Jedi.

Someone? :)

nvidia OpenGL can be found on: [/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=25][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=25]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25 and [/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=350][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=350]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=350

Mouse. in console type: setup

so the dialog will come up in console, go to mouse configure. you can alter your mouse there with wheel support :)

Seti@home <--- don't have any idea. sorry.

Program, to run some windows application will need to install wine. games use winex. office XP, Macromedia Studio Mx need to use CrossOver.

that's all i can help.

heres a quick howto for installing winex

1. cvs -d:pserver:cvs@cvs.transgaming.org:/cvsroot login

2. When prompted for the password enter "cvs"

3. cvs -z3 -d:pserver:cvs@cvs.transgaming.org:/cvsroot co winex

4. cd winex && ./tools/wineinstall

ive never seen concole text move that fast before in my life. i gazed at it for a few minutes, then went to make myself some eggs.

thanks for the info about how to get wine setup for gaming!

Thanx guys I appreciate all the help. I'll post more questions as I go on.

Alright guys next problem I installed the NVidia drivers just as you all specified in your how to's and by NVidia's site. Bu I can not get it to work this is the error I'm getting while try to run 'startx':

(EE) NVIDIA(0): no HorizSync values remaining

(EE) NVIDIA(0): No modes remaining for display device CRT-0

(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Suggestions guys??